thegreekbite

Follow Me on Pinterest

October 12, 2011

Food of the Day: Cranberry

Cranberries are one of the three native North American fruits (the others include the concord grape and the blueberry.) Cranberries are naturally anti-bacterial as they are high in Vitamin C. Cranberries are most known for containing benzoic acid which fights urinary tract infections.

Cranberry Facts:

  1. 1/4 cup a day is a great additon to your diet. Any more than 2 cups will cause a runny tummy
  2. Low-calorie
  3. High in Fiber

One way I add more cranberry to my diet is I mix 3-4 TBSP of 100% cranberry juice (NOT from concentrate) with a 1.5 Liter bottle of water. I also add cranberry juice to my sparkling water and take a cranberry pill every morning.

A GREAT raw cranberry coconut ice cream recipe

2 comments:

  1. Can you juice cranberries in a juicer??? I don't think I can find fresh cranberry juice here, but I love your idea of mixing it with water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy 100% cranberry juice from the biological market so you can try to find some if you have a store like that in your area. You can also put whole cranberries in a blender and create a yummy smoothie. Just be sure you add some honey, or a sweet fruit, such as banana or mango,and some nut milk, such as almond milk or soy milk, to offset the sourness of the cranberries. You can juice the berries too but I have never done that.

    ReplyDelete