Alekos was kind enough to teach me how to make goat cheese from scratch! We started with whole, raw, fresh Myconian goat milk. Yum.
1. Warm goat milk till lukewarm over low heat
2. Remove from heat, add a dash of yeast (10L of milk needs 1/2 tsp) and 1/2 cup buttermilk
3. Mix and let sit covered for 24 hours
4. Pour milk into a cheesecloth (outside) and let drain for 24 hours. We hung ours on the deck awning and put a bowl below for the water to drain into.
4. On the second day, remove cheese from cloth, add salt, and push into a cheese mold. We used bird beds from the pet store. (We nibbled on some at this point and it was YUMMY!!)
5. Put outside and cover with a mesh cloth. Place a large stone on top to push out any additional moisture.
6. Wait 5 days and then enjoy!! If you are lucky maybe Anna will make some of her Myconian pie for you :)
This cheese is absolutely fantastic :) Thank you Alekos!!!