thegreekbite

Follow Me on Pinterest

November 20, 2011

Healthy Melomakarona Cookies- Vegan, gluten free and agave sweetened

Yum, yum, yum... Melokamaronas! My favorite Christmas cookie :) With half of the olive oil, gluten free flour and moistened with agave and orange juice, this is a healthier spin on the traditional Greek cookie.

Melomakarona Cookies
2 1/2 cups gluten free flour (I used oat flour, which has trace gluten levels)
3/4 cup ground walnuts to flour form (1 cup of walnut halves)
1.5 TBSP cinnamon
1 TSP nutmeg
2/3 cup cold pressed olive oil
1/2 cup orange juice
 1/2 TBSP soda
1/8 cup agave

Syrup
2 cinnamon sticks
1/3-1/2 cup agave
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice
1 TSP allspice

Garnish
1/3 cup ground walnuts, lightly chopped
Juice of one orange

1. Combine ingredients for cookies, mixing dry ingredients together and then adding the wet ingredients.
2. Roll small balls with your hands and bake for 25 min at 350F.
3. Bring syrup ingredients to a boil, reduce to simmer about 10 minutes.
4. Once cookies come out of the oven, pour over all the syrup and top with ground walnuts.
5. I added an extra bit of moisture by squeezing a half an orange over the cookies.


7 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks. I am from Greece originally and I wanted to recreate these but gluten free. I am glad I found this recipe as I won't have to experiment myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi by "TBSP soda" are you reffering to baking soda?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what she means is a TableSpoon of Baking Soda.. Have you tried this recipe out?

      Delete
  3. I tried these a couple of years ago and they were very delicious but they crumbled and fell apart because I didn't let the cookies cool down before I added the syrup. I will try making them again but this time I will put the cookies in the fridge for a couple of hours before adding the syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey i am from greece and the recipe is very familiar , you should try to let the syrop cool down and the cookies to be very hot . so staight from the oven you throw them in the syrop for 5 seconds or more and then let them cool down. And then you can sprinkle them with more walnuts.I ll try the recipe anyway and i ll give you a feedback ..

    ReplyDelete