thegreekbite

Follow Me on Pinterest

August 21, 2011

Halloumi Cheese, Cypress


This is one of my favorite cheeses of all time. I avoid dairy products, except for some goat/sheep cheese or yogurt, so I am very happy to find a new kind of cheese that is so delicious- tastes a bit like mozzarella, both salty and sweet.

The particular cheese I used was made with goats/sheep milk (but this type of cheese can sometimes include cow milk so read the ingredient list if you are avoiding dairy). Halloumi has a high melting point and is therefore often served fried/grilled.
I prepared half of the cheese grilled and the other half raw (I liked the raw cheese much better). I drizzled with olive oil and oregano. Simply divine :)

From what I have learned, this cheese originates from Cypress and is traditionally served with watermelon in the hot summer months. We did not have any watermelon at home so we served with a green salad for an early dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment