thegreekbite

Follow Me on Pinterest

March 02, 2011

The Magical Seed- Pumpkin


Today I got home from a cold, wet, rainy day in the town center. I am starving and when looking in the fridge I know I would like to eat something warm and something nutritious. We are going to a family dinner tonight so I also want to eat light. Here is my remedy: two small onions, one green bell pepper and half a head of cabbage diced into small pieces and thrown on the stovetop with a balsamic and olive oil glaze. Then I top it off with some fresh light Greek cheese and pumpkin seeds.

What is it with me and pumpkin seeds this week? Well, these little seeds are great for your body. I have listed a few reasons below:

1. A full handful of pumpkin seeds contains 92% of your daily value of magnesium- a mineral most of us lack and that is essential to good health. Magnesium also helps to keeps the immune system healthy, strengthens bones and helps regulate blood pressure and sugar levels
2. High in zinc- a natural protector to osteoporosis
3. Contains phytosterols, which has been shown to reduce both LDL cholesterol and cancer
4. Contains L-tryptophan, a compound which has been proven to combat depression

So eat your pumpkin seeds!! You body (as well as your mother) will thank you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment