I named these brownies after Nikos's mother, Anna, who, according to Nikos, has never returned a tupperware empty. Last night Anna's return included a tupperware full of raw mixed nuts. Therefore this recipe is dedicated to sweet Anna:) These brownies are gluten/dairy free, low-fat and sweetened with agave. Buckwheat flour is made from a fruit seed, and therefore gluten free. It is also high in fiber, protein, maganese and tryptophan (an essential amino acid which is can only be obtained through the diet).
Anna's Buckwheat Brownies
2.5 TBSP vegan butter (I used sunflower spread)
1 1/4 cup agave nectar
50 g dark chocolate
2 large eggs
1 cup applesauce
1.5 tsp almond extract
1 1/3 cups buckwheat flour
1/2 cup raw carob powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup raw mixed nuts
1. Heat butter and chocolate in a double boiler till melted. Take off heat.
2. In a mixer blend agave, chocolate and then eggs together till smooth.
3. Add applesauce, extract to mixture and set aside.
4. Mix dry ingredients together and blend with wet mixture.
5. Grind nuts in a food processor till fine. Add half in the batter and fold lightly.
5. Pour into greased baking pan and top with remaining nuts, pushing nuts in to batter with hand. Bake at 180C for 25 minutes.
6. We tried our brownie a la cart and then also with a drizzle of raw honey, both ways are delicious!