thegreekbite

Follow Me on Pinterest

April 11, 2011

Easy Monday Morning Applesauce



One thing I do every Monday morning is make a large batch of applesauce for the week. The best part about this recipe is, first of all, how easy it is to make; second, it makes the house smell marvelous! Apples are also low on the glycemic index (38), which means that this fruit greatly assists you in controlling both blood sugar and insulin levels. As a comparison honey rates at 92, watermelon at 72 and strawberries at 40. (Other low-glycemic fruits include peaches, 28, and grapefruit, 25.)

I use this applesauce as a replacement for butter when baking (specifically in my fiber cake recipe as well as all of my vegan recipes) and on my oatmeal in the morning. It also goes well as a mid-day snack (hot or cold) or great as an addition for dessert, either with ice cream or layered with crushed cookies as a simpler form of apple pie. The great thing about applesauce is that it is loaded with fiber and a great way to make sure you are getting your share of fruits for the day. I use sweet apples and therefore, prefer to make my applesauce without sweetener.
According to my taste buds, Cinnamon adds just the right touch of flavor.

Easy Monday Morning Applesauce
5 apples, dices
1/2 cup water
cinnamon/sugar to taste

1. Boil water and diced apples together in saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
2. After 30 minutes set heat to low and cover. Apples will become slushy.
3. Add cinnamon, sugar- whatever you wish to jazz up your dish.

I topped my warm applesauce with crushed flax seeds and organic walnuts. DEEELISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment