This dish a a WINNER and great to serve for guests!! Delicious and easy. I prepared the toast the night before and when I woke up all I had to do was place in the oven.
I added hemp seeds to the dish, after baking, which added extra omega acids and protein. You can use three eggs, or if you are watching your calories, you can use just egg whites. While egg whites have minimal fat, a bit more protein and a good supply of riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and potassium, egg yolk supplies a rich amount of fat soluble vitamins (A,E,D,K), folate, calcium, iron and B12. I would recommend using at least one egg yolk to get some of those good nutrients in your body.
Baked Strawberry Lemon French Toast
4 slices whole grain bread, high fiber
1 tsp non-dairy butter
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 organic eggs (or 4 egg whites)
1/2 tsp vanilla
zest of one organic lemon
10 strawberries, diced
2 TBSP fresh lemon juice (juice from one lemon)
1/8 cup agave or honey
1/8 cup coconut (optional)
dash of salt
honey, banana and hemp seeds for topping (optional)
1. Combine almond milk, vanilla, zest, and eggs and mix till creamy.
2. Arrange bread flat in a pan, spread a thin layer of sunflower spread (non-diary butter) and pour egg mixture over bread. Place in fridge overnight.
3. In morning, puree half the strawberries and mix with lemon juice and agave; drizzle over bread.
4. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 180C. Take off foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
5. Drizzle with honey/hemp seeds/coconut.
If serving for brunch, you could add white chocolate chips, before you bake, to make the dish a bit naughty!