thegreekbite

Follow Me on Pinterest

May 08, 2011

Vegan Seitan Salad- with savory sauce






While I am not a huge supporter of "fake" meat I do enjoy the taste of seitan from time to time. I used to eat a large amount of meat substitutes as a vegan and the high level of soy and gluten did not sit well with my body. Now that I have returned to a whole foods diet, consisting mainly of raw foods and some proteins and grains, I am able to eat some of these meat substitutes, but only on occasion. Seitan is made from wheat and is highly glutinous- so if you have any sensitivity to gluten this would be one of the worst dishes for you to eat. You can swap out the seitan for some organic meat or organic chicken if you wish.

Seitan Salad
One head romaine lettuce
4 carrots, shredded
handful of tomatoes
two onions, diced
300g seitan (or organic meat/chicken)
1 TBSP olive or sunflower oil
1/3 cup savory sauce, for topping

1. Chop seitan into quarter sized pieces and sauté with olive oil and onions for about 5 minutes.
2. Arrange romaine, carrots, tomatoes on a plate and top with seitan mixture.
3. Top with savory sauce, or dressing of your choice.


This is another version of the hot-cold salad that I enjoy so much. The hot food dampens the lettuce just a tad, which makes it easier to chew and yummier in my opinion. I allow my hot food to cool down just a bit so the salad I am eating still contains all the good for you nutrients.

No comments:

Post a Comment