thegreekbite

Follow Me on Pinterest

May 06, 2011

The bubble battle- who will win?












Organic vs Conventional (meaning full of chemicals- SLS, SELS, and Paraben)

Since I have started the blog and further educating myself on topics related to health and wellness I have made the commitment to update our household items, one at time, to something better for our health. The truth is I love my body and I love my boyfriend (of course I love his body too...) and I want to make sure we are increasing our longevity and vitality.
Today it looks like the battle is even, 1-1, organic vs. conventional (as far as our shower products go). I have been using the best of what I can find here in Greece, which is severly limited compared to what is offered in the states, not to mention EXPENSIVE!! I need to know that what I am paying for is acutally 1) good for our health and 2) going to produce nice results- like clean, fresh-smelling hair and squeeky clean skin.
Some of the ingredients I have found in the conventional products include:
1) Sodium Laureth Sulfate- A more moderate form of SLS but even more dangerous as our liver cannot metabolize this substance and it therefore stays in our body (tissues) longer.
2) Paraffinum Liquidum- otherwise known as a mineral oil. A cheap ingredient meant to moisturize. Increases penetration of other toxic substances in the product, May be contaminated with polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), which are potential human carcinogens linked with breast cancer.
3) Methyllisothiazolinone- a neurotoxin, causes nerve damage
And in the organic products:
1) Ammonium Laureth Sulfate- Coconut based cleaning agent
2) Polysorbate 20-vegetable derived emulsifier
3) Geraniol-a monoterpenoid and an alcohol. It is the primary part of rose oil, palmarosa oil, and citronella oil

Of course, we are never 100% sure of where all this stuff is derived from unless we make it ourselves but I know that for myself, making the effort feels really good, and I feel as though I am gifting my body with something positive. I don't know about you but I am willing to pay 10 euros more per month (5 euros extra per bottle) for shampoo/conditioner that does not have the first three ingredients.

I would like to comment that it feels good knowing that everyday the choices I have been making our better ones, better for our health and therefore better for the environment. I believe that we all come together as one and therefore as each one of us grows healthier, so does everyone else. I will be trying new products from this day forward and will include a list on my website of which ones I find to be worth the money. I am on the prowl to find great products at reasonable prices :)

No comments:

Post a Comment