thegreekbite

Follow Me on Pinterest

October 25, 2011

Homemade Almond Milk

Making homemade nut milk is much easier than it looks. All you need is a blender, a funnel, and a strainer. You can use a coffee filter in place of the strainer and if you don't have a funnel you can use aluminum foil. When you make nut milk, you will also have fresh cheese. I will teach you how to make cheese tomorrow. I like to use one cup of nuts to two cups of water, but some like to use a ratio of 1:3. This is depending on your preference. Here is my recipe for almond milk.

Homemade Almond Milk
1 cup raw almonds
2 cups of filtered water

1. Soak the almonds in water for 24 hours
2. Drain the almonds and then soak in warm water for 30 seconds and remove the peels. They should slip off easily with your thumbs if they are fresh. (If you leave the skin on the almonds, the milk will only stay fresh for one day so I always peel my almonds so that the milk lasts for 3-4 days. If you wish you avoid peeling you can use another nut, such as cashews.)
3. Blend the almonds and water in a blender for about 20 seconds. Sometimes I place cinnamon in my milk at this point, but remember that you will then have cinnamon flavored cheese, or if you have a dehydrator, you will have the option to make granola with the almond pulp.
4. Pour the milk through a strainer into a bottle with a funnel.  You will need to pour it bit by bit and it takes some time for the water to drain fully. I push down the almond pulp in the strainer to make sure I get all the milk out.
5. Cover and place in the fridge.
6. You will now have fresh almond milk that is good for 3 to 4 days.
7. Take the almond pulp and make cheese or granola with it! (Will post this recipe this week!)

I like to use my raw milk in smoothies, raw breakfast puddings, and with my seed cereal. Check in this week to view recipes on my favorite pudding, smoothie, nut cheese and nut butter.



No comments:

Post a Comment